Strawberries are not only juicy, beautiful and delicious, they offer a wide range of health benefits. Here are some great reasons to add strawberries to your diet:
Immunity Booster– Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C. One serving of strawberries contain 51.5 mg. Vitamin C is a well-known immunity booster as well as a powerful, fast working antioxidant.
Promote Eye Health– The antioxidant properties in strawberries may also help to prevent cataracts, which can lead to blindness in older age. The vitamin C also protects eyes from exposure to free radicals caused from the suns UV rays.
Cancer Prevention– Along with vitamin C, strawberries contain the antioxidants, lutein, and zeathancins. These antioxidants are scavengers to free-radicals and neutralize the potentially negative effect they can have on our cells. Keep Wrinkles at Bay– The vitamin C found in strawberries is vital to the production of collagen which helps to improve skins elasticity and resilience.
Fight Heart Disease– Strawberries contain powerful heart health boosters called ellagic acid and flavonoids – or phytochemicals that benefit heart health in various ways including lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) and also providing an anti-inflammatory effect.
Boost fiber– Strawberries contain about 2 grams of fiber per serving, helping to promote colon health.
Aid in Weight Management– Strawberries are low in calories at only around 28 calories per half cup serving.
- 1T each, sugar and water
- 2 T each red wine vinegar & extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 t each salt and pepper
- 4 C each torn romaine lettuce and arugula
- 2 C quartered strawberries
- 1/3 C vertically sliced red onions
- 12 ounces cooked shredded chicken breast
- 2 T unsalted cashews
- 1/2 C (2 oz) low-fat bleu cheese crumbles
- To prepare dressing, combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl.
Gradually drizzle in oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- To prepare salad, combine romaine and next 4 ingredients (through
chicken) in a bowl; toss gently. Place about 2 cups chicken mixture on
each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cashews and
1/2 oz cheese. Drizzle about 1 Tablespoon of dressing. Makes 4 servings.
Counts as: 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1/2 protein, 1/2 fat, 1/2 dairy 1 condiment
- Strawberry Wellbar
- Plan serving Greek Yogurt (Strawberry or Vanilla)
- 1 Cup Sliced Strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. Light Whipped Topping
- Crumble Strawberry Wellbar into bowl
- Mix with Greek Yogurt
- Stir in Sliced Strawberries
- Top with Light Whipped Cream
Counts as: 1 Wellbar, 1 Fruit, 1 Dairy, 1 Condiment